Monday, January 18, 2010

Busted Knees and Baking

This afternoon didn't go as well as planned.  Training for a half marathon in March, I set out today to get in a longer "maintenance" run, yet this time, hoping to lap up the sparse January sun by running outside.  55 degrees? This calls for shorts.

I laced up my sturdier running sneakers (trail shoes to be precise) anticipating leftover stubborn snow banks and salt patches. These guys were meant for the hills of Colorado. They'll certainly prove themselves on the sidewalks of Maryland.

Not quite.  Or rather, caveat: prevention against clumsiness not included.

2 miles out.

The sun is shining.

The birds are tweeting.

And I am...

...Tripping! Falling! Knee plant and I'm down.

What occurred today was a classic "skin the knee." Yep.  Top layer of skin off while the street heeds no mercy against its gravel, dirt, and unforgivingness.

Should I keep going I question?  It hurts but it's not entirely a show stopper.  More of an incredible nuisance.  Like when your Ipod dies on the treadmill at the gym 5 minutes into your workout...

Ok. Maybe this is worse.

As I continue running and begin counting the number of stares I am getting from complete strangers, I decide maybe the prudent decision is to turn around and douse my leg in rubbing alcohol.  Or hydrogen peroixde.

1/2 annoyance and 1/2 wincing (each time I bend my knee) calls for something to cheer me up.

Time to invent a new recipe!

Except, since I am actually in quite a bit of pain, I decide to whip something up quickly.  Raw granola bars!

And so I give you what might be my favorite raw granola bar recipe of all time.

Ingredients:
1/2 cup honey
1/4 cup virgin coconut oil
1/4 cup almond butter
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 tsp cinnamon
2 cups whole rolled oats (not instant)
1/4 cup unsweetened coconut flakes (Whole Foods carries a good version)
1/4 cup pumpkin seeds
1 tbs flax seed (ground or whole)
1 tbs slivered almonds
1 tbs sunflower seeds
1 tbs chopped pecans

Directions:
1. Mix dry ingredients in a large bowl and set aside.
2. Mix wet ingredients together either by stirring, or putting over low heat and stirring continuously until blended.
3. Mix wet and dry together in a large bowl.
4. Spoon well-blended mixture into a pan with walls at least 1 inch high. User a spoon or the bottom of a glass to press down the mixture and even out.
5. Put in refrigerator or freezer and allow to set for 45 min.
6. Slice into bars the size of your liking and keep refrigerated or frozen until time for eating!

These bars fall apart VERY easily unless they are kept cold (the oils are liquid at room temperature).

Delicious!

No comments:

Post a Comment