Monday, May 3, 2010

Grilled Chocolate Rustic Bread Sandwich

I've been taking good inventory of my food pantry lately.  I feel much better knowing what I have lying around the shelves of the cabinets and fridge.  I feel I am eating more in the moment than coming home completely surprised every night of the week.  Salad mix? I totally forgot about you! Asparagus in the cripser? Oh, asparagus I paid $4 for you, please still be good! Instead, I like to keep a mental image of exactly what I have - 1 farmers market apple, 1 white onion, 1.5 red onions, 1 cup cherry tomatoes, you get the point.

After dinner tonight, I remembered that I had 1/2 of a baguette (in french fashion, 1 day old, and hard as a rock). Since french toast wasn't really an option @ 9:30pm, I decided to think a little more outside the box. I recalled I had about 2 tbs of chocolate pieces and some cinnamon/vanilla/sugar mixture I made the other day. Surely something can be concocted from good quality chocolate, stale french bread, sugar and cinnamon. Grilled chocolate sandwich!

Normally I would have taken a picture myself, but to be honest, I was more interested in eating the beauty than a photo op. This picture is basically what it looked like (admittedly mine didn't have a cascading chocolate waterfall going down the side).

Here are the steps I took:

Serves 2
1. Heat grill pan over medium heat
2. Slice ciabatta (or any kind of rustic bread) down the middle in 2" x 4" wedges
3. Mix 1 tsp cane sugar with 1 tsp cinnamon and set aside
4. Butter bread on both sides (I used Earth Balance vegan spread)
5. Lay chocolate pieces on inside of bread and sprinkle on sugar/cinnamon mix
6. Put other slice of bread on top and put something heavy on top to weigh down bread (it grills better this way - - but I don't recommend your old calculus textbook).
7. Grill sandwich for 4 minutes or so, careful not to burn
8. Want to go nuts? Slap on 1 tbs or so of vanilla ice cream.

1 comment: